HC to hear PIL against post-poll alliances, but after LS polls
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday agreed to hear a plea opposing the practice of forging post-poll alliances among political parties to gain power on the ground that electors are kept in the dark about the same.
A bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice S Mridul listed the matter for hearing after the elections, saying there is "substance" in the contentions raised in the petition but it will not hear the matter now.
"It seems there is some substance in your petition but the fact of the matter is no actual situation is before us," the bench said, adding it may hear the matter after the conclusion of Lok Sabha poll process.
The court listed the matter for hearing on May 20, four days after the conclusion of the election process.
The court was hearing the plea of advocate Mithilesh Kumar Pandey who has challenged the "validity of post-poll alliances among political parties" on the ground that the same is a "breach of the promises made by them during the election campaigns".
Pandey has sought a direction "declaring unconstitutional the practice of post-poll alliances among parties which contested elections against each other".
"Issue directions preventing political parties from violating their own manifestos when such parties enter into post-poll electoral alliances in order to form a government," his petition also states.
It also states that the competent authority be directed to "take steps to make the manifesto a legally-binding document".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested