He could have saved my daughter: Delhi gang-rape victim`s father
Lucknow: The father of the 23-year-old girl who was raped by a gang of six men on a moving bus in Delhi has said that his daughter would have been alive if her male friend had shown some courage.
"The scene would have been different had the boy shown some courage and tried to shout for help. He could have opened a window," he was quoted as saying by India Today.
"I have come to know that some people are demanding bravery award for him. But what kind of bravery has he shown? It was my daughter who died fighting with the vultures. She had shown the real courage and she should be given bravery award posthumously," he said.
On Friday, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav met the family of the victim and handed over them a cheque of Rs 20 lakh to Delhi gang-rape victim`s family.
While speaking to reporters, Yadav said that though the government has extended help to the family, their loss is immense and cannot be compensated.
"This is a gruesome incident...The country has come to know of it...There has not been any such case in the world...There is anger in the country over it and people are also showing it," Yadav said.
The Chief Minister also announced that a primary health centre (PHC) would be set up in the village for which land has been made available but denied that it would be named after the girl, saying that there was no such provision under the law.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!