He could have saved my daughter: Delhi gang-rape victim`s father
Lucknow: The father of the 23-year-old girl who was raped by a gang of six men on a moving bus in Delhi has said that his daughter would have been alive if her male friend had shown some courage.
"The scene would have been different had the boy shown some courage and tried to shout for help. He could have opened a window," he was quoted as saying by India Today.
"I have come to know that some people are demanding bravery award for him. But what kind of bravery has he shown? It was my daughter who died fighting with the vultures. She had shown the real courage and she should be given bravery award posthumously," he said.
On Friday, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav met the family of the victim and handed over them a cheque of Rs 20 lakh to Delhi gang-rape victim`s family.
While speaking to reporters, Yadav said that though the government has extended help to the family, their loss is immense and cannot be compensated.
"This is a gruesome incident...The country has come to know of it...There has not been any such case in the world...There is anger in the country over it and people are also showing it," Yadav said.
The Chief Minister also announced that a primary health centre (PHC) would be set up in the village for which land has been made available but denied that it would be named after the girl, saying that there was no such provision under the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez