Hope EC takes action on cash transfer scheme announcement: BJP
New Delhi: BJP Sunday expressed the hope that the Election Commission will take suitable action against the government for its announcement of direct cash transfer scheme when the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
The BJP has also termed the "violation" of the Model Code as "conspiracy" to divert the attention of the public from the real issues of corruption, scams and price rise.
"We hope the Election Commission will take suitable action against the government for blatantly violating the Model Code," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
He said, "The scheme amounted to cash for vote, going by the timing of its announcement. It is clearly aimed at influencing the voter and luring them with cash subsidies through the direct cash transfer scheme."
Naqvi hoped the EC will take stern action in stalling this scheme and ensuring that such violation of the Model Code is not repeated.
The BJP had earlier petitioned the Election Commission, questioning the timing of the scheme`s announcement ahead of the Gujarat election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?