Hope EC takes action on cash transfer scheme announcement: BJP
New Delhi: BJP Sunday expressed the hope that the Election Commission will take suitable action against the government for its announcement of direct cash transfer scheme when the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
The BJP has also termed the "violation" of the Model Code as "conspiracy" to divert the attention of the public from the real issues of corruption, scams and price rise.
"We hope the Election Commission will take suitable action against the government for blatantly violating the Model Code," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
He said, "The scheme amounted to cash for vote, going by the timing of its announcement. It is clearly aimed at influencing the voter and luring them with cash subsidies through the direct cash transfer scheme."
Naqvi hoped the EC will take stern action in stalling this scheme and ensuring that such violation of the Model Code is not repeated.
The BJP had earlier petitioned the Election Commission, questioning the timing of the scheme`s announcement ahead of the Gujarat election.
- Akshay Kumar escapes scorching Mumbai heat with his ‘partner in crime’ – Here’s how
- Uttarakhand forest fire under control, no death so far: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse
- Blasphemy case for 'desecrating' Sikh man's turban in Pakistan