Hope EC takes action on cash transfer scheme announcement: BJP
New Delhi: BJP Sunday expressed the hope that the Election Commission will take suitable action against the government for its announcement of direct cash transfer scheme when the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
The BJP has also termed the "violation" of the Model Code as "conspiracy" to divert the attention of the public from the real issues of corruption, scams and price rise.
"We hope the Election Commission will take suitable action against the government for blatantly violating the Model Code," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
He said, "The scheme amounted to cash for vote, going by the timing of its announcement. It is clearly aimed at influencing the voter and luring them with cash subsidies through the direct cash transfer scheme."
Naqvi hoped the EC will take stern action in stalling this scheme and ensuring that such violation of the Model Code is not repeated.
The BJP had earlier petitioned the Election Commission, questioning the timing of the scheme`s announcement ahead of the Gujarat election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued