Hope JD(U) won`t desert NDA: BJP
New Delhi: Amid reports that NDA ally JD(U) is exerting pressure on BJP to declare a "secular" leader as its Prime Ministerial candidate, BJP on Thursday expressed confidence that its "valued" coalition partner will not desert it.
There are reports that JD(U) may declare at its national executive scheduled for this weekend that BJP announce its Prime Ministerial candidate. With a clamour in BJP for projecting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for the top post, the opposition party is in a fix as JD(U) is opposed to his candidature.
Asked about the issue, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said "JD(U) is a very, very valuable and long lasting ally of BJP."
She maintained JD(U) comes from a background of anti-Congress politics and is well aware of the corruption within the ruling party. She underscored the BJP belief that JD(U) would stay in NDA-fold.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, whom many see as Modi`s bete noire, has indicated the Gujarat Chief Minister is not acceptable to JD(U) as a PM candidate.
Kumar is wooing Muslims in Bihar and reportedly fears that Modi will scare them away due to his Hindu hardliner image and the blot of 2002 post-Godhra riots.
Kumar has said in the past that the NDA PM candidate should have secular credentials.
Asked if BJP feels Modi is secular, Sitharaman said "my party president Rajnath Singh has emphatically stated that Modi is secular and I second that view. In no uncertain terms, I wish to say Modi is secular."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra