HRD Ministry seeks more funds for Saakshar Bharat programme
New Delhi: Regretting inadequate allocation of funds for the Saakshar Bharat programme, the HRD Ministry has asked the Planning Commission to consider raising budgetary resources for the scheme, with 1.73 crore adults already certified as literate since its launch.
HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju feared that resource constraint could be detrimental for the programme in achieving the national literacy goals as laid in the 12th Plan.
"I would urge the deputy chairman of Planning Commission to consider enhancing allocation of budgetary resources to Saakshar Bharat commensurate with its importance and mandate," he said.
The 12th Plan seeks to achieve 80 per cent literacy with special focus on female literacy.
Towards this end, the Five Year Plan has proposed to revamp Saakshar Bharat to align to the new paradigm of lifelong learning, requiring appropriate infrastructure and additional resources for capacity building of panchayati raj institutions and other implementing agencies.
Addressing a convention of ministers and panchayats on adult education here, Raju also suggested greater convergence between the state and the central programme which aims to address the literacy level.
He observed that success of the Saakshar Bharat programme "lays squarely on panchayati raj institutions", and can work out well if there is increased synergy among them.
"I feel proud to share that in a short span since the programme was launched by the Prime Minister in September, 2009, 1.73 crore adults have been certified as literate till August 2012," he said.
He mentioned states such as Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Manipur, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu where the programme is doing "commendably" well.
He said as both Right to Education and Saakshar Bharat programme aims to touch elementary education and adult literacy respectively, the two system of education need to function in tandem as they are complementary to each other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy