Hyderabad blasts: IED used in twin blasts, says DGP
Hyderabad: Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were used in the two bomb blasts which were acts of terror and were aimed at causing maximum damage, Andhra Pradesh DGP V Dinesh Reddy said on Thursday night.
He put the number of injured at 84 who are being treated at seven different hospitals in the city. At least 12 people have been killed in the twin explosions.
IEDs were used in the blasts, which were powerful and planted on bicycles, which took place in a span of about two to three minutes, Reddy told reporters here.
The aim was to cause maximum damage and they chose crowded areas accordingly, the DGP said, adding the two blasts took place in the Dilsukhnagar area around 1900 hours.
The first one was at the Konark-Venkatadri cinema theatres area and the other was at a spot about 100 yards from there.
The seriously injured would be shifted to corporate super-speciality hospitals in the city for better treatment if needed, he said.
Noting that the entire area has been sanitised after the blast, he appealed to the people not to panic and believe in rumours.
A high alert has been sounded in the state capital and the police are carrying out checking and frisking operations, Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said.
Meanwhile, personnel of National Investigation Agency (NIA), stationed in Hyderabad, visited the scene and picked up clues from burnt two-wheelers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency