IAF hope to finalise MMRCA deal by year-end
New Delhi: Hoping to finalise the multi-billion dollar combat aircraft deal by the year-end, Indian Air Force on Thursday said the commercial bids of two shortlisted
vendors in the MMRCA tender would be opened by middle of next month.
"We have a meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council on October 7 where some of the issues are going to be discussed. Once those issued are cleared, hopefully by the middle of month, we should be in a position to open the bids," Air chief
Marshal NAK Browne said here.
He was asked to comment on the acquisition schedule of these aircraft which are expected to be inducted in the IAF by 2014.
Browne was talking to reporters on the sidelines of the Sixth International Conference on Energising Indian Aerospace Industry organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Earlier addressing the conference, the IAF chief said, "We are in final stages of this process (of signing the contract for MMRCA) and (it will be done) hopefully by the
end of the year."
On the offset value of the deal, he said, "Offsets for this program amount to Rs 20,000 crore plus and these are going to be in service for over a period of 13 years."
To a query on comparison between Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) and MMRCA, he said, "These are two different kinds of aeroplanes. M-MRCA does not have stealth features and super cruise capability while FGFA has all that."
FGFA has recess armament base where all the missiles and weapons are located inside the aircraft, which gives it a certain amount of stealth potential, he said.
India is developing the FGFA as a joint venture with Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad