IC-814 hijack suspect worked closely with Dawood
New Delhi: Mehrajuddin Wani alias Javed Dand - one of the terrorists who was involved in arranging logistics, including weapons and fake travel documents, for the hijackers of the Indian Airlines flight IC-814 to Kandahar in December, 1999- had close links with fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
Reports, Saturday, claimed that Mehrajuddin Wani has confessed before the interrogators that he worked closely with 1993 Mumbai serial blasts mastermind Dawood Ibrahim- the man who is most wanted in India.
According to sources, Wani was also in touch with Dawood’s brother during his stay in Nepal.
The interrogators have reportedly recovered a diary among other documents, which details about his Pakistan links and his contacts with several ISI officials.
Mehrajuddin, who is currently on a four-day police remand, lived in Nepal with a Hindu name and also got married there. He worked closely for several years with the IC-814 hijack accused Arshad Cheema, who was the ISI chief in Nepal. According to sources, Mehrajuddin returned to Jammu and Kashmir due to illness.
Interrogators also claim that Mehrajuddin was also allegedly involved in the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blasts in Delhi. As per intelligence sources, Mehrajuddin is a close associate of United Jihad Council (UJC) chief Syed Salahuddin. He was a member of UJC, an umbrella group of several militant outfits.
While the intelligence agencies hail Mehrajuddin’s arrest as a big breakthrough, it has come out that he was in fact a big informer of the Intelligence Bureau (IB), according to a leading daily news paper.
As per a report published in ‘The Indian Express’, pashmina shawl dealer Wani was a big asset for the IB in Nepal, who passed several valuable information to the spy agency.
He was tapped by the Indian intelligence agencies in 2000 after the Kandahar hijack to exploit his access as a Kashmiri in the shawls business in Nepal. The IB was aware of his contacts at the Pakistani embassy in Kathmandu, which made him a favourable candidate in the eyes of Indian intelligence agencies.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof