Illegal immigration in NE a security threat: Varun
Bareilly (UP): BJP leader Varun Gandhi on Saturday said illegal immigration of Bangladeshi nationals is posing a big security threat to the country, especially to the
north east region.
"Illegal immigration of Bangladeshi citizen in India is a big threat to the country, but this is not being viewed seriously," the MP, who was on a two-day tour of his parliamentary constituency Pilibhit, said yesterday.
The BJP leader said that he had recently gone to Assam where he claimed that 60 per cent land is under possession of the illegal immigrants.
"A serious threat is surfacing in the North East region of the country," he said.
Varun alleged that party candidates in panchayat polls were being harassed by police.
"One of my supporter Harish Kumar Singh is being harassed by police and a fake FIR had been lodged against him," he claimed during a meeting of party workers.
Singh`s wife is contesting the elections against sister of a BSP MLA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!