Immigration racket busted in Punjab
Chandigarh: Two travel and immigration agents have been arrested in the state`s Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (formerly Nawanshehar) district and 1,219 passports have been seized from them, a police official said on Tuesday.
With three other people, they were running an illegal travel and immigration agency, a senior officer said.
This is the single biggest seizure of passports in the state where the craze among people, especially youth, to immigrate abroad by legal or illegal means is big, the police noted.
SBS Nagar district police chief Narinder Bhargava said after the arrest of two people, the police raided various places to nab three more members of the immigration racket.
"We received a tip-off that the accused were going to bring a fake visa officer. They had told the prospective immigrants that the visa officer would come to meet them. We nabbed them after laying a trap," Bhargava said in SBS Nagar, 90 km from Chandigarh.
"The visa officer, tickets and other papers given to the immigrants were all found to be fake. We have recovered 1,219 passports from the possession of these travel agents," he said.
These travel and immigration agents would lure youths by inserting advertisements in newspapers about jobs in Dubai and other Gulf countries.
They would even issue tickets to the prospective immigrants. Police investigations later revealed that all the issued tickets were fake.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan