India, Africa adopt plan of action for enhanced cooperation
New Delhi: Terming India-Africa partnership a "new paradigm" of South-South cooperation for a contemporary Africa, India and over 40 countries of the African continent on Friday adopted an action plan for enhanced cooperation.
The two sides adopted the Plan of Action of the Enhanced Framework for Cooperation ahead of the forum summit scheduled next year.
Addressing the gathering of 42 Heads of Missions of African countries and senior government officials and implementing agencies, Sudhir Vyas (Secretary West) in the Ministry of External Affairs said India is focusing on capacity building and development work in a major way in Africa that is "non-intrusive" and sensitive to the needs of and in consultation with the African partner countries.
"We are committed to implementing the plan of action in letter and spirit," he said.
He said India is setting up 80 new capacity building institutions in African countries that would help in the development process in Africa. On the pan-African level, India is building six institutes as part of India-Africa Forum Summit-II (IAFS) framework.
These comprise an India-Africa food processing cluster, a textile cluster, centre for medium range weather forecast, a university for life and earth sciences and in agriculture and civil aviation.
Vyas said India would also help at the regional level in capacity building of the youth with programmes in vocational training in various fields.
India is also setting up 10 more vocational training centres in African countries involving the Indian civil society, he said. With many non-Anglophone African countries evincing interest in learning the English language, India is also setting up English language training centres.
Vyas said India`s participation in capacity building would be "flexible" and include any additional requirements voiced by the African partners. India is also helping to set up entrepreneurship centres that would focus on food processing, IT, and renewable energy, among other fields.
He said India as part of the outreach programme for youth is keen to promote closer cooperation between their youth to encourage and promote more collaborative channels of communication.
Vyas said the CII-EXIM bank annual India-Africa conclave held in March this year fetched 500 individual specific projects involving USD 70 billion in planning.
Around 80 young Parliamentarians from African countries were also visiting India to "expose the future leadership to the possibilities of India-Africa engagement", he said. As part of this, the last batch of 20 Parliamentarians would be visiting India next March during the CII-EXIM bank conclave.
He said lack of dissemination of the collaborative work was an area of concern which was being addressed by the launch of the India-Africa Connect website, a portal which disseminates news and information.
Vyas also said that India was keen for early implementation of some of the projects envisioned earlier.
Ambassador Jean Baptiste Natama, chief of staff of the African Union (AU) Commission, said the plan of action was helping keep up the momentum of their cooperation.
He said India is "contributing significantly to the globalisation process in knowledge and applied sciences in Africa".
He described IAFS-II as focusing on the "new partnership paradigm of South-South cooperation" between the two sides. "India-Africa partnership is moving in the right direction," Natama said. The action plan is with the goal for mutual benefit of both sides, he stressed.
Natama said Africa would take all steps for smooth implementation of IAFS projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception