India can feed half of the world: Mohan Das Pai
Kolkata: India can feed half of the world, if quality of production goes up somewhere near to the best, Manipal Global Education Services chairman Mohan Das pai said Saturday.
"India can feed half of the world if productivity can move up to near best in class," said Pai, adding that productivity was the problem, not land and labour.
Speaking about the disguised unemployment in the agriculture sector country wide, he said: "You don`t require so many people to grow the miserly amount of food that you grow. We have to migrate people from agriculture to industry" following what China did 20 years ago."
Pai attributed most of the problems faced by India to the expanding gap between the growth rate of primary sector and the secondary and tertiary sector.
"...the divergence of 8-10 percent (industry & service) and 3 percent (agriculture) is so enormous that the gap is becoming extremely visible, that`s what is hurting India`s politics, creating anger in eastern India, the Maoist problem and all kind of problems...", said Pai, a former CFO of Infosys.
"We have to improve our industrial sector. It is only industry that can absorb a large number of people, so we have to reorient strategy in India."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok