India committed to safeguard its interest in Ladakh: Antony
New Delhi: India remains committed to a peaceful resolution of the situation caused by Chinese incursion in Ladakh and will take every possible step to safeguard its interests, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Monday.
Addressing the Unified Commanders` Conference here, Antony said the current situation in Ladakh was not created by India.
"The current situation is not one of our creation. However, we remain committed to a peaceful resolution of the situation, through military and diplomatic dialogue within the framework of the agreements for maintaining peace and tranquility," he said.
"At the same time, I wish to emphasise that there should not be any doubt that the country remains unanimous in its commitment to take every possible step, at all levels, to safeguard our interests," he added.
Antony said that bilateral relations with China are, at times, bedeviled by border issues, particularly along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
"The recent developments are no exception. Among the various initiatives to safeguard our border, the thrust has been on development of our border roads and advance landing grounds," he said.
On April 15, a Chinese platoon set up camp 19 km inside Indian territory in Depsang Valley in Ladakh.
India has tried through meetings with local military commanders and through diplomatic channels to get China to vacate the spot. China, however, insists that it has not intruded into Indian territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray