India committed to safeguard its interest in Ladakh: Antony
New Delhi: India remains committed to a peaceful resolution of the situation caused by Chinese incursion in Ladakh and will take every possible step to safeguard its interests, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Monday.
Addressing the Unified Commanders` Conference here, Antony said the current situation in Ladakh was not created by India.
"The current situation is not one of our creation. However, we remain committed to a peaceful resolution of the situation, through military and diplomatic dialogue within the framework of the agreements for maintaining peace and tranquility," he said.
"At the same time, I wish to emphasise that there should not be any doubt that the country remains unanimous in its commitment to take every possible step, at all levels, to safeguard our interests," he added.
Antony said that bilateral relations with China are, at times, bedeviled by border issues, particularly along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
"The recent developments are no exception. Among the various initiatives to safeguard our border, the thrust has been on development of our border roads and advance landing grounds," he said.
On April 15, a Chinese platoon set up camp 19 km inside Indian territory in Depsang Valley in Ladakh.
India has tried through meetings with local military commanders and through diplomatic channels to get China to vacate the spot. China, however, insists that it has not intruded into Indian territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog