India, Croatia ties to grow further: Ansari
Dubrovnik (Croatia): Recalling historical
links between India and Croatia, Vice President Hamid Ansari
today said the bilateral relations would grow further, a day
after Zagreb extended full support to New Delhi`s bid for a
permanent seat in the UN Security Council.
"I have just concluded my visit to Zagreb where I have
held extremely constructive and friendly meetings with the
President of Croatia Ivo Josipovic, Speaker of Sabor Luka
Bebic and Prime Minister Jadranka Kosor.
I am confident that the friendly bilateral relations
between our two countries would grow further for the mutual
benefit of the peoples of our two countries," Ansari said
while speaking during the reception hosted in his honour by
Dubrovnik city Mayor Andro Vlahusic.
Lauding the beauty and hospitality of the city and
the residents, Ansari said, "Dubrovnik has been an active
trading centre throughout history and has produced many
explorers, merchants, bankers and mariners of repute. I must
compliment you for the excellent manner in which the rich
historical legacy of this beautiful city, spanning many
centuries, has been maintained.
The fact that Dubrovnik attracts millions of tourists
every year from all over the world is testimony to the glory
of Dubrovnik`s past and the friendliness of its residents," he
"I am also happy to learn that despite its distance,
Dubrovnik has left its imprint on India. Seafarers from this
city have been known to travel to Goa in the middle of the
16th century for trade and ship building."
They also constructed a church in the village of
Gandaulim, replicating the church of St Blaise or Sao Braz,
the Patron Saint of Dubrovnik. It is said that the church bell
was brought from Dubrovnik, Ansari said.
"In recent times, we have had high level interaction
between our countries and former President of India Sarvepalli
Radhakrishnan visited Dubrovnik in 1965. I am happy to
maintain this important and historical link between Dubrovnik
and India," he said.
The Vice President recalled his personal association
with the beautiful city when he said, "the city of Dubrovnik
is in my thoughts at work, as a beautiful painting of the city
adorns my chamber in the Indian Parliament."
Ansari, who is in Croatia on a two-day visit received
full support for India`s bid for a permanent seat in the UN
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof