India mulls joint military exercises with China
New Delhi: Defence ties between India and China are set to gain momentum with New Delhi mulling joint exercises with Beijing next year after the just concluded naval drills in Shanghai held after a gap of six years.
India is planning to propose joint military exercises with China which will also include Army-to-Army exercises, sources said here.
The Armies of the two countries last held counter insurgency and counter-terrorism wargames codenamed `Hand-in-Hand` in 2009 in Belgaum in India and prior to that in China in 2007.
India and China had agreed to enhance defence exchanges and communications for better understanding and mutual trust during the fourth round of Annual Defence Dialogue (ADD) held here in December last year after a tumultuous two years for military ties.
New Delhi had suspended military exchanges with China in August 2010 after it had refused to grant permission to a senior Indian Army Commander to proceed on an official trip to Beijing.
As an immediate fallout of the event, India refused to hold the third round of military exercise and had put all other military exchanges on hold.
Meanwhile, top-level officers of the Indian and Chinese Navies held discussions to improve the ties between the two countries as four Indian warships took part in basic naval exercises there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir