India needs to take stand against China: US professor
Washington: India should respond strongly to China`s growing assertiveness in South China Sea, an eminent Indian American professor has said.
"India needs to respond to China`s claim to indisputable sovereignty over most of the South China Sea.. I would suggest that India should send its light squadron to the region and hold its main fleet obviously in reserve," Ved Nanda, Professor of International Law at the prestigious Denver University said.
"Today China considers India as a competitor and rival in Asia," Professor Nanda said in his remarks at a day-long conference on `India-China Relations` organised by the Foundation for India and Indian Diaspora Studies (FIIDS) over the weekend.
Referring to the territorial dispute in the South China Sea where it is seeking the entire territory as its own, Nanda said, "India needs to come up very strongly against China."
"Because of its ability to project its soft power, India, he argued, is in a much more favourable position than China or any other country in its own neighbourhood to have its own robust presence."
Nanda praised India for "not surrendering" to China on the passport issue.
Noting that India and China are close to mutual more cooperation than anything in past 50 years.
Glen Carle, ex deputy national director of CIA and author of `Interrogator` said economic policies will prove crucial while shaping the future of the relations between the two countries.
Deputy Indian Ambassador to the US Arun K Singh noted the progress made by India and China in resolving their disputes over the past 50 years.
Noting that there is an enough opportunity for both to grow in Asia and in world, he said it is mutually beneficial for both to work together.
Both countries are working to develop a Asian Security Agreement, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested