India needs to take stand against China: US professor
Washington: India should respond strongly to China`s growing assertiveness in South China Sea, an eminent Indian American professor has said.
"India needs to respond to China`s claim to indisputable sovereignty over most of the South China Sea.. I would suggest that India should send its light squadron to the region and hold its main fleet obviously in reserve," Ved Nanda, Professor of International Law at the prestigious Denver University said.
"Today China considers India as a competitor and rival in Asia," Professor Nanda said in his remarks at a day-long conference on `India-China Relations` organised by the Foundation for India and Indian Diaspora Studies (FIIDS) over the weekend.
Referring to the territorial dispute in the South China Sea where it is seeking the entire territory as its own, Nanda said, "India needs to come up very strongly against China."
"Because of its ability to project its soft power, India, he argued, is in a much more favourable position than China or any other country in its own neighbourhood to have its own robust presence."
Nanda praised India for "not surrendering" to China on the passport issue.
Noting that India and China are close to mutual more cooperation than anything in past 50 years.
Glen Carle, ex deputy national director of CIA and author of `Interrogator` said economic policies will prove crucial while shaping the future of the relations between the two countries.
Deputy Indian Ambassador to the US Arun K Singh noted the progress made by India and China in resolving their disputes over the past 50 years.
Noting that there is an enough opportunity for both to grow in Asia and in world, he said it is mutually beneficial for both to work together.
Both countries are working to develop a Asian Security Agreement, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video