India rejects visa to three Chinese army officers: Sources
New Delhi: Three Chinese army officers have been denied visas to India as a fallout of Beijing saying the visit of an Indian Army officer to China would be inappropriate as he had Jammu and Kashmir under his command, sources said Friday.
"Two captains of the Chinese army were to visit Pachmarhi and a colonel was to visit the NDC (National Defence College). They have been denied visas," the sources said.
They said the proposal for the visit of Lt. Gen. B.S. Jaswal, who heads the sensitive Northern Command that guards the borders with China and Pakistan, had been communicated to China in July.
China then said it would be difficult to give Jaswal a visa as he is posted in territory that is "difficult", the sources said.
"We want a candid discussion with China to resolve this issue and till then, there will be no military ties with China," the sources said.
This, however, was at variance with the view taken by Defence Minister A.K. Antony, who said the cancellation of Jaswal`s visit was "not the question of breaking ties."
"There are occasional problems but that will not affect our broader approach," he told reporters in Hyderabad.
Accusing the Chinese of being inconsistent, the sources said they had issued a visa to Lt. Gen V.K. Singh to visit Beijing when he headed the Indian Army`s Eastern Command that has jurisdiction over Arunachal Pradesh, over which China has staked its claim.
"We want a fair resolution of all issues, including the Chinese practice of issuing stapled visas to residents of Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh," the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note