India summons US envoy over Leno’s remark
New Delhi: Unhappy with US government’s reaction to NBC host Jay Leno’s jibe against Golden Temple, the Indian government on Tuesday summoned a senior US diplomat while saying the remarks have hurt Sikh sentiments.
Reacting strongly to the incident the Indian government has sent a protest note to NBC demanding apology for the incident. However, the TV channel has yet to respond to the letter.
Earlier, the US came to the defence of Leno and said the visual of Golden Temple in Amritsar during "The Tonight Show" was a "satirical" reference to Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney`s vacation home.
While the US had "absolute respect" for the people of India, including Sikhs, "The Tonight Show" host`s comments "are constitutionally protected in the United States under free speech", State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters on Monday.
The US, she said, had so far "had not had any communications from the Indian government" on the controversial comments that have angered the Sikh community in the US which has launched an online petition against Leno.
Asked about the US government`s stand on the issue, Nuland said: "Well, I think that Mr Leno would be appreciative - I hope he`ll be appreciative - if we make the point that his comments are constitutionally protected in the United States under free speech, and frankly, they appear to be satirical in nature."
"But from a US official government perspective, we have absolute respect for all the people of India, including Sikhs here, there," she said.
(With agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata