`India-US defence ties made tremendous progress under Obama`
Washington: A top Pentagon official has said the defence ties between the US and India has made tremendous progress under the Obama Administration and Washington was looking forward to Prime Minister Manomohan Singh`s visit.
In fact, defense ties is expected to be a major issue of discussion when Prime Minister Singh meets President Barack Obama at the White House on September 27, the official said.
"India is a very good friend of the US. Relations have continued significantly over the last decade. Under the Obama Administration we have been making tremendous progress," Peter Lavoy, the Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian and Pacific Security Affairs, told reporters yesterday.
"We are very pleased with our relationship with India," Lavoy said, who recently accompanied the Defense Secretary on his South East Asia trip.
Though Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, who has been on the job only for a few months, looks forward to his meeting with his Indian counterpart AK Antony, he said.
"The defense relationship is strong and we are looking forward to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to the United States in which they would discuss a wide range of issues to improve relationships between the two countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi