Indian fisherman awaiting release dies in Pak jail
Karachi: A 60-year-old Indian fisherman who had completed his prison term and was awaiting release has died at a local hospital in Pakistan`s biggest city.
Dadu Bhai, who was an inmate at the Malir district jail, died yesterday from illness, a senior jail official said.
"Dadu suddenly took ill on Wednesday and was receiving treatment at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) when he passed away," Shunail Shah, the Assistant Superintendent of Police at Malir jail, said.
Shah confirmed that Dadu had completed his jail sentence when he passed away.
"He had been in jail since last November and was anxiously awaiting his release. We are also shocked because he was a very energetic person and was in high spirits when he fell ill," the police official said.
"He had completed his prison term and was only awaiting release orders," the Assistant Superintendent of Police at the jail, Shunail H Shah, said.
"He was looking forward to going back to India and reuniting with his family.
"Doctors at JMC said the Indian prisoner was brought to the hospital complaining of low blood pressure and high fever.
"He was treated in the emergency ward but passed away on Thursday morning," one doctor said.
"The cause of death is hypotension and cardiopulmonary failure," he said.
Officials said Dadu`s body had been shifted to the Edhi trust morgue and they were awaiting further orders from the Indian embassy officials.
"The authorities here cannot conduct a postmortem unless we get permission from the Indian embassy," the ASP said.
The dead body of the Indian fisherman could not be shifted from Pakistan due to lengthy procedures about autopsies of imprisoned citizens dying in the rival country.
Spokesman of the Indian High Commission said today that the body will be flown home after its post-mortem which will be performed after Pakistan officially conveyed about the incident to the Indian diplomats.
"So far we have not been formally informed about it," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?