Indian prisoner to be released from Pak jail after 30 yrs
Lahore: Indian national Surjeet Singh, who has been languishing in Kot Lakhpat Jail in this eastern Pakistani city for over 30 years, is expected to be freed within three months, his lawyer has said.
The Punjab government yesterday told the Lahore High Court that Surjeet had completed his term and would be released.
Through a written report submitted in the court of Justice Manzoor Ahmad Malik, the government said Surjeet was given the status of an internee last month.
The judge was hearing a petition seeking the release of Surjeet filed by his Pakistani lawyer Awais Sheikh, who is also counsel for Sarabjit Singh, an Indian on death row after his conviction for alleged involvement in bomb blasts in 1990.
Sheikh pleaded that Surjeet had been held in the Pakistani jail even after completing his term of life imprisonment.
Relying on the Punjab government`s reply, the judge adjourned the hearing till July 9.
The lawyer told PTI that he had filed the petition for Surjeet`s release at the request of his family. "I met the son and daughter of Surjeet in Amritsar and they told me that their father was languishing in Kot Lakhpat Jail," he said.
Sheikh said Surjeet was captured near the border on charges of spying during the era of military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.
He was given the death sentence but then President Ishaq Khan commuted it to life imprisonment.
"Surjeet completed his term in 2004. The High Court has said there is no law that allows a prisoner to be detained after he completes his sentence," Sheikh said.
In a separate development, Justice Umar Ata Bandial of the Lahore High Court has disposed of another petition filed by Sheikh seeking the release of another Indian prisoner named Madan Lal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price