Indo-Pak border fence breached, high alert sounded
Jammu: Throwing security machinery into a
tizzy, militants taking advantage of dense fog cut the
barbed-wire fence along the Indo-Pak border for the first time
in a bid to carry out infiltration.
The incident ahead of Republic Day function prompted the
authorities to sound a high alert to thwart any infiltration
attempt, a senior BSF officer told a news agency today.
"During the checking of the fencing we have detected that
the fence has been cut by militants between pillar number 851
and 852 along the International Border in Abdullian Border Out
Post area of Ranbir Singh border belt of Jammu district last
evening," he said.
Under the cover of thick fog, the militants had cut nine
wires on the Pakistani side and ten wires on the Indian side
thereby creating a gap to facilitate infiltration, he said.
During checking it was found that the fence has been cut
and immediately BSF, CRPF, police and army were alerted and
massive searches conducted in the entire border belt and
adjoining areas, 35 kms from here.
This is for the first time that the fence has been cut and
a gap created for infiltration of militants, the officer said.
"However, we feel there are less chances of militants
sneaking into this side as there is another fence 500 meters
behind the zero line which is intact," he said.
Search operations were on in the entire border belt of R S
Pura, he said, adding "no foot-prints of infiltrators have
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official