`Indo-Pak pol leadership should have vision to develop ties`
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of chill in relations over beheading of Indian soldier, Pakistan today said the political leadership of the two countries should have a clear vision on how to develop the ties in a mutually beneficial manner.
"Both the countries have invested a lot of effort and energy to make this happen. Having said that, of course, we have an ongoing dialogue process, this is the track," Pakistan High Commissioner to India Salman Bashir said here at an ICRIER function here.
He said the two countries have witnessed two tracks. Part one included people-to-people contact, visa relaxations and cultural exchanges between the two countries and the second one was on economic-trade cooperation which has witnessed several important ministerial and secretary-level meetings.
Both these tracks should come together and the two countries need to keep a holistic view of the relationship, Bashir said, adding "I think it is important for both the political systems that Pakistan and India have a clear vision where they want the relationship to grow and develop...One with the cooperation which is mutually beneficial."
The chill in bilateral relations was triggered after the beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistani troops in a cross- Line of Control (LoC) attack by Pakistan troops in Jammu and Kashmir on January 8.
In the wake of the incident, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said that there cannot be business a usual with Pakistan. India had put on hold liberalized visa for elderly Pakistani citizens just before it was to be launched.
Pakistan Commerce Minister and Commerce Secretary as also Water Resources Minister cancelled their visits here.
Defence Minister A K Antony has been underlining that there should be no hasty move to improve relations with Pakistan.
In 2011-12, India`s exports to Pakistan stood at USD 1.54 billion, while imports are only USD 401 million.
Further, Bashir said, "we had a host of technical meetings -- railway-to-railway, customs-to-customs... So, a lot of good hard work has been put together to see how we can move forward towards trade normalisation."
In the backdrop of a missed deadline for normalising trade relations with India, Pakistan had said its Cabinet had reiterated the resolve to grant MFN-status to India.
During the talks between officials and ministers of India and Pakistan last year, it was decided that Islamabad would phase out the negative list regime for bilateral trade by December 31 so that MFN-status could be granted at the beginning of the new year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India