Indo-US defence deals unlikely during Obama visit
New Delhi: India and the US are unlikely to
wrap up any defence deals during the high-profile visit of
President Barack Obama early next month, Defence Minister A K
Antony indicated on Monday.
"I don`t think so," he told reporters on being asked if
the Defence Ministry was expecting any deals to be signed
during Obama`s visit commencing from November six.
India and the US are in talks to finalise a deal for 10
C-17 transport aircraft for the IAF estimated to be worth USD
"The talks are in its final stages," Antony said in
response to a query on the C-17 deal.
India is also interested in buying 24 Harpoon missiles
for its Air Force at an estimated cost of USD 700 million.
Apart from these purchases, the two sides are also holding
discussions for foundational agreements in areas such as
communication interoperability, logistics support and
He said the whole government was coordinating the US
President`s visit in which Defence Ministry was playing a
Asked about threats from fidayeens during Obama`s visit,
Antony said though there were possible threat perceptions
during high level visits, government took all measures to
"Whenever high level visits take place, there is always
possibility of threats. We are putting all measures in place
to meet all problems. We are capable of handling it, as we
have proved during the Commonwealth Games by conducting it
successfully," he said.
To a question, the minister said there were 42 terror
training camps which were active in Pakistan sand a new
element was women were also being trained as terrorists.
"Some elements are training terrorists against India.
Even now, 42 terror camps exists across the border. They are
training even ladies," he said.
But, he said, Indian armed forces were vigilant 24X7 to
defeat these terrorists.
"They (armed forces) are ready always. Country is safe in
the hands of our armed forces," he said.
Calling the Mumbai terror attacks two years ago as "an
eye opener" to Indian security establishment, he said the
importance of coastal security had dawned on the government
only after the 26/11 incidents.
"For us, 26/11 incidents in Mumbai was an eye opener. It
is now all the more important due to the security situation
around India. We have to take more care in strengthening the
coastal security," he said.
"All the while, we thought land border is only the real
border. Strengthening the security along the land borders was
our only concern. We thought coastal areas have their own
protection from the seas. Gone are those days. We have to be
more careful," he added.
That was why the government was giving more attention to
the coastal security now by strengthening coast guard and
coastal police, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in