Inertia in economy; paralysis in govt: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday alleged the UPA government is suffering from policy paralysis and indecision which had caused an inertia in the economy and suggested the Congress-led dispensation should look at avenues which provide jobs as well as contribute to asset creation.
Speaking at a session of the CII Annual General Meeting, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said after 1991 India was a "great success" story but "all of a sudden there was a policy paralysis and indecision when the UPA has come to power".
The BJP leader maintained the root of the problem is more political than economic.
Elaborating on the issue, he said in a company it is possible to have a board of directors in one place and a professional CEO running the organisation elsewhere but "the largest democracy in the world" cannot function like this.
"In this government, the North Block (Finance Ministry) decides what to tax but it is 10, Janpath (UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi`s residence) which decides where to spend," Jaitley said.
He said India now seems to be moving towards the pre-1991 era as there is "inertia" in the economy and no infrastructure development is taking place.
"I asked the Finance Minister why creating jobs could not be linked with asset creation.... Under MNREGA, you only dig up pits and then fill them up. You don`t think in terms of asset creation," Jaitley said.
He charged the UPA government is focussed on taxing everything and as much as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested