Jaish, LeT could gain Hamas, Hezbollah-like status: Former RAW chief Amber Sen
Panaji: Pakistan-sponsored terror outfits Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) could achieve the status of Hamas and Hezbollah, powerful long-standing extremist groups based in Palestine and Lebanon respectively, according to a former Indian security official.
"The Laskar-e-Taiba and Jaish (e-Mohammad) are getting stronger and security agencies fear that they will become like Hamas and Hezbollah" said Sen, a former special secretary of the Research and Analysis Wing and advisor to the National Security Council, delivering a lecture at the International Centre here.
Members of the LeT as well as the JeM have been accused of spreading large-scale violence in India over a decade.
While the LeT cadre has been accused of training the batch of terrorists who carried out the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai in 2008, JeM has masterminded the attack on the Indian parliament in 2001. JeM has also been accused of sensationally killing American journalist Daniel Pearl in Karachi.
Both the Hamas and Hezbollah are organisations which were started in the mid-1980s as terror outfits, but have evolved in mainstream entities even participating in state election process over the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head