Jaish, LeT could gain Hamas, Hezbollah-like status: Former RAW chief Amber Sen
Panaji: Pakistan-sponsored terror outfits Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) could achieve the status of Hamas and Hezbollah, powerful long-standing extremist groups based in Palestine and Lebanon respectively, according to a former Indian security official.
"The Laskar-e-Taiba and Jaish (e-Mohammad) are getting stronger and security agencies fear that they will become like Hamas and Hezbollah" said Sen, a former special secretary of the Research and Analysis Wing and advisor to the National Security Council, delivering a lecture at the International Centre here.
Members of the LeT as well as the JeM have been accused of spreading large-scale violence in India over a decade.
While the LeT cadre has been accused of training the batch of terrorists who carried out the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai in 2008, JeM has masterminded the attack on the Indian parliament in 2001. JeM has also been accused of sensationally killing American journalist Daniel Pearl in Karachi.
Both the Hamas and Hezbollah are organisations which were started in the mid-1980s as terror outfits, but have evolved in mainstream entities even participating in state election process over the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’