Japan`s emperor, empress relive memories at IIC
New Delhi: Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko Tuesday relived old memories as they visited the India International Centre (IIC) and interacted with intelligentsia and old acquaintances, 53 years after they laid the foundation stone of the premier south Delhi institute.
The imperial couple, on a six-day state visit to India, spent nearly an hour at the IIC and met some of the people who were present at the foundation stone laying ceremony during their 1960 visit when they were the crown prince and crown princess.
Among the people they met were Tata Group chairman emeritus Ratan Tata, former attorney general and IIC chairman Soli Sorabjee, Congress leader Karan Singh, scholar Kapila Vatsyayan and former union minister Ashwani Kumar, who was appointed the prime minister`s special envoy for Japan.
The royal couple was informed of the activities at the institute.
A photo exhibition of their 1960 visit was also put up. A large plaque displayed at the IIC is a reminder of the imperial couple`s first visit over half a century ago.
Among their other engagements Tuesday was a call on them by Vice President Hamid Ansari and later by Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj.
On Monday, the imperial couple met President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. During the meetings, both sides discussed bilateral issues.
The royal couple will depart for Chennai Wednesday on the second leg of their six-day visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note