Jaswant Singh to give stature to VP poll contest
New Delhi: NDA could not have got a candidate for Vice Presidential poll with more gravitas than Jaswant Singh, a former army officer who has headed Finance, Defence and External Affairs Ministries, authored books and even served as Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
Even those who do not support the BJP or the NDA agree that by fielding Singh against UPA Vice presidential nominee Hamid Ansari the opposition has given stature and some seriousness to the contest.
74-year-old Singh was a Major in the Indian army when he quit the services in the 1960s to join politics. He was at his peak during the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee. At different times during this six year rule (1998-2004), he headed the Finance, Defence and External Affairs Ministries.
Singh`s political career has seen several ups and downs and he is not new to controversies. During the Air India hijack in December, 1999, Singh was criticised for accompanying the terrorists to Kandahar in Afghanistan to bring back the hijacked passengers.
A trusted associate of Vajpayee, he was always beside the Prime Minister during the 13-day government in 1996. He was one of the most important people in Vajpayee`s team along with Brajesh Mishra and Pramod Mahajan.
Later he served as the Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha till 2009 when he accepted an offer from local parties fighting for Gorkhaland to contest from Darjeeling. He is presently MP from the hill district.
Singh was expelled from the BJP in August 2009 after he praised Pakistan-founder M A Jinnah in his book- "Jinnah: India, Partition, Independence". However, party president Nitin Gadkari brought him back to the party in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why