JD(U) for SC/ST quota in promotions, judiciary
New Delhi: Janta Dal (United) Saturday supported the demand for reservation in promotion for SC/ST, with party president Sharad Yadav making an appeal to all political parties to support an amendment in Constitution on the issue.
SC/ST have been the most deprived community in the country, Yadav said, adding that there is hardly any representation of these people in top offices like President`s Secretariat and Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) and also demanded reservation for the SC/ST community in judiciary.
He also expressed anguish even though the issue was listed in recently concluded winter session of Parliament, it was not discussed due to disruptions by members of some political parties.
"It is unfortunate. Even after 65 years of independence, we politicians could not uplift their (SC/ST) standard of living due to many obvious reasons," Yadav said.
Without naming anyone, he also said that though political parties have commented on this issue outside Parliament, nothing concrete has been done by them for development of SC/ST community.
"A large number of people in our society belong to this class and they are socially disadvantaged and generations after generations and century after century their living conditions have not been improved," he said.
Raising the issue of their "unfair" representation in top offices, he asked, "Why no government officer from the SC/ST community is posted in President`s Secretariat and PMO? We must take steps to ensure that these people do not face discrimination in these matters."
He also supported reservation for the SC/ST community in judiciary.
"I would appeal the judiciary also to open itself in these matters of social justice.
So far only one person from the dalit community has been appointed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court," Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof