Jethmalani raps Katju, says Gov lacks power to pardon Dutt
New Delhi: The Maharashtra Governor lacks power to pardon Sanjay Dutt, senior lawyer and BJP leader Mahesh Jethmalani on Saturday said criticising Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju for his "unseemly haste" in seeking relief for the actor sentenced to 5 years jail for possessing arms during 1993 Mumbai blasts.
He said Katju has written a "wholly misconceived" letter to the Governor and others, including Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and I&B Minister Manish Tewary, members of film fraternity and office bearers of Congress, NCP and Samajwadi parties "have jumped on to his ex-Lordship`s bandwagon".
He said Dutt has been convicted under the Arms Act and the Governor`s power of pardon under Article 161 of the Constitution does not extend to conviction under this law.
"His ex-Lordship`s (Katju`s) letter to the Governor of Maharashtra, is thus wholly misconceived and his loyal band of followers must seek other avenues, if they exist at all, to secure a reprieve for Dutt. Katju would be well advised to not let his heart rule his head even if he considers its pulls to be justified," Jethmalani said in a statement.
"For their part, Kumar and Tewari, both eminent men of law, would serve the interest of the nation better if they applied their energies to upholding the law, rather than blindly seeking exoneration for a convict who by design or dim-wittedness facilitated the death of so many innocent victims on that fateful day in Mumbai", he said.
Jethmalani said it does not "befit" a retired apex court judge to express his anguish at the verdict of the top court by saying that he (Katju) himself was impelled to file a mercy petition in his personal capacity on actor`s behalf.
"It ill befits a retired Judge of the SC and Chairman of PCI, to display such unseemly haste in seeking complete exoneration for Dutt in the 1993 bomb blast case.
"Hardly has the ink dried on the Supreme Court`s judgement upholding the actor`s conviction under the Arms Act that the ex-Judge has lamented the decision, extolled Sanjay Dutt`s virtues and regretted his suffering of the last twenty years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi