JPC begins quizzing former Telecom Secretary
New Delhi: The Joint Parliamentary Committee
probing the 2G spectrum allocation scam on Wednesday started
questioning a former Telecom Secretary who had served during
the initial years of the NDA rule.
A V Gokak, who served as Telecom Secretary between
November 1996 and August 1998, appeared before the JPC headed
by Congress leader P C Chacko in connection with the 2G
spectrum allocation scam.
A Committee member said he was questioned about the
telecom policy being pursued by the then government with
regard to cellular operators.
Tomorrow, the JPC will record evidence of Gokak`s
successor Anil Kumar, who served as Telecom Secretary between
August 1998 and February 2000.
The NDA Government had unveiled a migration policy in
June 1999 during Kumar`s tenure, allowing cellular operators
to move from fixed licence fee regime to revenue-sharing
The Department of Telecom had told the JPC the migration
policy had led to losses to the exchequer to the tune of Rs
The JPC is examining India`s telecom pricing policy
1998-2008 that also covers the period of the NDA government
led by the BJP that was in power 1998-2004.
The panel was formed following persistent demands by
the Opposition after allegations surfaced of irregularities in
the allocation of 2G licences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border