Kamalesh Sharma is new Chancellor of UK university
London: Kamalesh Sharma, Secretary-
General of the Commonwealth, is set to be installed as the
Chancellor of the Queen`s University of Belfast (QUB).
Described by Queen`s Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter
Gregson as "a role model and an inspiration", Sharma has had a
distinguished career as a diplomat who has served at
ambassadorial level in five Indian missions.
Sharma will be installed as the Chancellor of the
varsity at a function here today.
As Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, he works
with 54 sovereign states on a global agenda which includes the
promotion of peace, democracy and human rights, tolerance,
respect and understanding, the rule of law, global access to
health and education and the elimination of poverty.
"Kamalesh Sharma`s eminent career demonstrates an
unflinching dedication to building a better world through
partnership and co-operation," the Vice-Chancellor said.
"One of the defining characteristics of his service as
Secretary-General of the Commonwealth is his commitment to
young people. I know he will be an inspiration to our
students. I know too that he will be an inspiration to the
wider University family and to our community," he said.
Gregson said as India`s High Commissioner to the UK,
Sharma made a series of visits to Northern Ireland, promoting
business and trade between the region and the Indian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown