Kamalesh Sharma is new Chancellor of UK university
London: Kamalesh Sharma, Secretary-
General of the Commonwealth, is set to be installed as the
Chancellor of the Queen`s University of Belfast (QUB).
Described by Queen`s Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter
Gregson as "a role model and an inspiration", Sharma has had a
distinguished career as a diplomat who has served at
ambassadorial level in five Indian missions.
Sharma will be installed as the Chancellor of the
varsity at a function here today.
As Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, he works
with 54 sovereign states on a global agenda which includes the
promotion of peace, democracy and human rights, tolerance,
respect and understanding, the rule of law, global access to
health and education and the elimination of poverty.
"Kamalesh Sharma`s eminent career demonstrates an
unflinching dedication to building a better world through
partnership and co-operation," the Vice-Chancellor said.
"One of the defining characteristics of his service as
Secretary-General of the Commonwealth is his commitment to
young people. I know he will be an inspiration to our
students. I know too that he will be an inspiration to the
wider University family and to our community," he said.
Gregson said as India`s High Commissioner to the UK,
Sharma made a series of visits to Northern Ireland, promoting
business and trade between the region and the Indian
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference