Khurshid slams BJP for asking PM`s resignation
New Delhi: Taking a dig at BJP for asking Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to follow the example of A Raja who quit after facing graft charges and resign, Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Thursday said the opposition party should also follow some precedent and not disrupt Parliament proceedings.
"They (BJP) should also follow some examples of people who come to Parliament and put the case to Parliament. They can`t change the rules and they can`t lay down the rules," Khurshid told reporters outside Parliament House.
He was reacting to a question on BJP`s demand that Singh, who was the coal minister when coal block allocation was made, should quit just like former telecom ministers A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran, who had to resign after their names cropped up in the 2G scam.
Attacking the BJP for disrupting Parliament proceedings, he said, "You have to follow the rules of Parliament and you have to follow the rules in the games of democracy and sadly they (BJP) want to keep changing the rules and shifting the goal post. This is not acceptable."
Khurshid said people are "screaming for Parliament to function and the opposition will not hear" as they are not willing to listen to the truth and "it is absolutely irresponsible...Putting Parliament in peril, putting a question mark on Parliament, putting the reputation of Parliament at stake because you don`t want to hear the inconvenient truth."
Parliament has been in turmoil since Tuesday with BJP members demanding resignation of the Prime Minister over CAG`s findings on the issue of extension of undue benefits to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crore in allocation of coal blocks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- 'A Flying Jatt' rapper Raftaar speaks about his Bollywood journey- READ
- Pakistani beauty Mahira Khan caught in mixed emotions for 'Raees'
- No relief from HC for expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh
- Beat that! Egyptian women are world leaders in assaulting husbands
- Mamata condoles Mahasweta Devi's passing