Khurshid`s China visit plan remains unchanged: MEA
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the stand-off in Ladakh following Chinese troops incursion, the plan of External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid to visit China on May 9 remains unchanged even as India on Thursday insisted on return to status quo in Daulat Beg Oldie area.
"There is no doubt that this is a matter of concern but this is an incident which is limited in geography," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbarudin told reporters here about the incursion by Chinese troops who have pitched tents 19 kms inside Indian territory.
"It is a limited localised incident in geography and scope. Our goal is to ensure return to the status quo in that limited geological space," he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has also termed the incursion by Chinese troops in Eastern Ladakh as a localised incident saying the government was working on a plan to resolve the issue.
Asked if Khurshid`s visit to China on May 9 was on or off, Akbarudin said "the External Affairs Minister has said that he intends to go there and that is the last word."
Khurshid is travelling to Beijing in connection with preparations for the first visit of new Chinese Premier Li Keqiang here later this month.
"We should not speculate. Diplomacy needs time and space," Akbarudin said on Khurshid`s visit plans amid media reports that it may be cancelled in view of the incursion.
On whether the Chinese Prime Minister would visit India, the spokesperson said "we are working out appropriate dates and discussions are in an advanced stage. Once they are finalised, we will let you know."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’