Khurshid`s China visit plan remains unchanged: MEA
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the stand-off in Ladakh following Chinese troops incursion, the plan of External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid to visit China on May 9 remains unchanged even as India on Thursday insisted on return to status quo in Daulat Beg Oldie area.
"There is no doubt that this is a matter of concern but this is an incident which is limited in geography," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbarudin told reporters here about the incursion by Chinese troops who have pitched tents 19 kms inside Indian territory.
"It is a limited localised incident in geography and scope. Our goal is to ensure return to the status quo in that limited geological space," he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has also termed the incursion by Chinese troops in Eastern Ladakh as a localised incident saying the government was working on a plan to resolve the issue.
Asked if Khurshid`s visit to China on May 9 was on or off, Akbarudin said "the External Affairs Minister has said that he intends to go there and that is the last word."
Khurshid is travelling to Beijing in connection with preparations for the first visit of new Chinese Premier Li Keqiang here later this month.
"We should not speculate. Diplomacy needs time and space," Akbarudin said on Khurshid`s visit plans amid media reports that it may be cancelled in view of the incursion.
On whether the Chinese Prime Minister would visit India, the spokesperson said "we are working out appropriate dates and discussions are in an advanced stage. Once they are finalised, we will let you know."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM