Lalu against free post-retirement home to Prez
New Delhi: RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Wednesday opposed the government`s policy of giving free accommodation to President and Vice-President after their retirement.
"Candidates for President and Vice-President should give the undertaking that after retirement they would not claim free accommodation anywhere in the country," Lalu told reporters outside Parliament.
"We are following a wrong precedence...The public should not bear the burden of providing accommodation to President and Vice-President after their retirement...Ours is a poor country. We have not been able to provide even slum houses to poor people," he said.
Currently, President and Vice-President get free accommodation post retirement. Now there is a demand for providing free accommodation to Speaker also as retirement benefit.
Lalu said if President, Vice-President, Speaker want free accommodation, "then chief justices and judges of Supreme Court and High Court should also be given the facility after their retirement. Ex-MPs should also be given free housing facilities".
"RJD demands that candidates for President, Vice-President and Speaker posts should give declaration before filing nominations that they do not want free accommodation after retirement," the former Bihar chief minister said.
On presidential candidate, Lalu said his party has made it clear that Hamid Ansari should be made President.
"He is the most deserving candidate for President," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal