Lalu against free post-retirement home to Prez
New Delhi: RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Wednesday opposed the government`s policy of giving free accommodation to President and Vice-President after their retirement.
"Candidates for President and Vice-President should give the undertaking that after retirement they would not claim free accommodation anywhere in the country," Lalu told reporters outside Parliament.
"We are following a wrong precedence...The public should not bear the burden of providing accommodation to President and Vice-President after their retirement...Ours is a poor country. We have not been able to provide even slum houses to poor people," he said.
Currently, President and Vice-President get free accommodation post retirement. Now there is a demand for providing free accommodation to Speaker also as retirement benefit.
Lalu said if President, Vice-President, Speaker want free accommodation, "then chief justices and judges of Supreme Court and High Court should also be given the facility after their retirement. Ex-MPs should also be given free housing facilities".
"RJD demands that candidates for President, Vice-President and Speaker posts should give declaration before filing nominations that they do not want free accommodation after retirement," the former Bihar chief minister said.
On presidential candidate, Lalu said his party has made it clear that Hamid Ansari should be made President.
"He is the most deserving candidate for President," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'