Lalu against free post-retirement home to Prez
New Delhi: RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Wednesday opposed the government`s policy of giving free accommodation to President and Vice-President after their retirement.
"Candidates for President and Vice-President should give the undertaking that after retirement they would not claim free accommodation anywhere in the country," Lalu told reporters outside Parliament.
"We are following a wrong precedence...The public should not bear the burden of providing accommodation to President and Vice-President after their retirement...Ours is a poor country. We have not been able to provide even slum houses to poor people," he said.
Currently, President and Vice-President get free accommodation post retirement. Now there is a demand for providing free accommodation to Speaker also as retirement benefit.
Lalu said if President, Vice-President, Speaker want free accommodation, "then chief justices and judges of Supreme Court and High Court should also be given the facility after their retirement. Ex-MPs should also be given free housing facilities".
"RJD demands that candidates for President, Vice-President and Speaker posts should give declaration before filing nominations that they do not want free accommodation after retirement," the former Bihar chief minister said.
On presidential candidate, Lalu said his party has made it clear that Hamid Ansari should be made President.
"He is the most deserving candidate for President," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!