Laxman undergoes procedure to remove feeding tube
Pune: Celebrated cartoonist R K Laxman
underwent an operative procedure at the military Command
hospital here to remove an existing feeding tube inserted
through the nose that was causing him extreme discomfort,
doctors said today.
The operation called "Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastronomy
(PEG)" was performed on Laxman on Sunday placing another tube
directly in the stomach to facilitate food intake, Commandant
General S S Panwar told reporters.
Laxman was being fed through the tube, which is now
removed, since his hospitalisation in Mumbai where he was
treated following a series of strokes he suffered about two
and half months back.
"He was extremely uncomfortable because of the tube
through the nose. It was therefore decided to change this and
place a tube directly in the stomach by PEG", he said.
"He is now tolerating food", the doctors said, adding
Laxman would be discharged tomorrow.
The bed ridden cartoonist and his wife Kamala were
present at the press briefing at the hospital.
When asked how he was feeling , Laxman signed to
reporters to convey that he was " feeling better". He also
attempted a sketch.
After his discharge from hospital, Laxman would undergo
speech therapy, Kamala said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'