Laxman undergoes procedure to remove feeding tube
Pune: Celebrated cartoonist R K Laxman
underwent an operative procedure at the military Command
hospital here to remove an existing feeding tube inserted
through the nose that was causing him extreme discomfort,
doctors said today.
The operation called "Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastronomy
(PEG)" was performed on Laxman on Sunday placing another tube
directly in the stomach to facilitate food intake, Commandant
General S S Panwar told reporters.
Laxman was being fed through the tube, which is now
removed, since his hospitalisation in Mumbai where he was
treated following a series of strokes he suffered about two
and half months back.
"He was extremely uncomfortable because of the tube
through the nose. It was therefore decided to change this and
place a tube directly in the stomach by PEG", he said.
"He is now tolerating food", the doctors said, adding
Laxman would be discharged tomorrow.
The bed ridden cartoonist and his wife Kamala were
present at the press briefing at the hospital.
When asked how he was feeling , Laxman signed to
reporters to convey that he was " feeling better". He also
attempted a sketch.
After his discharge from hospital, Laxman would undergo
speech therapy, Kamala said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir