Left should focus on issues of poorest of the poor: Amartya
Kolkata: Nobel laureate Amartya Sen on Sunday urged the Left parties to raise the issue of sanitation and other basic needs of the poorest of the poor, apart from the issues of food security and LPG price hike.
"I am sometimes accused of being critical of the Left parties. I am particularly upset, when they go after the issues of cooking gas (price hike) and other issues. These are the issues of the middle class. But what about the issues of the poorest of the poor," Sen asked while addressing a session at the Kolkata Literary Meet.
He also said that when newspaper headlines were splashed last year with stories of a major power blackout in north India, many missed out on the fact that for a third of the population, "it was not a blackout on that particular night, but an everyday reality".
Professor Sen added that he felt particularly upset with the Left parties protesting on issues such as cooking gas and electricity prices and `aam admi` pursuits rather than the broader picture.
Forty-eight percent of the households in India have no toilets and people have to resort to open defecation, a problem that does not get addressed. The figure for China was one percent while that of Bangladesh was between 9 and 10 percent, he said.
Earlier on several occasions, Sen has raised the issues of open defecation and child malnutrition in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!