Left should focus on issues of poorest of the poor: Amartya
Kolkata: Nobel laureate Amartya Sen on Sunday urged the Left parties to raise the issue of sanitation and other basic needs of the poorest of the poor, apart from the issues of food security and LPG price hike.
"I am sometimes accused of being critical of the Left parties. I am particularly upset, when they go after the issues of cooking gas (price hike) and other issues. These are the issues of the middle class. But what about the issues of the poorest of the poor," Sen asked while addressing a session at the Kolkata Literary Meet.
He also said that when newspaper headlines were splashed last year with stories of a major power blackout in north India, many missed out on the fact that for a third of the population, "it was not a blackout on that particular night, but an everyday reality".
Professor Sen added that he felt particularly upset with the Left parties protesting on issues such as cooking gas and electricity prices and `aam admi` pursuits rather than the broader picture.
Forty-eight percent of the households in India have no toilets and people have to resort to open defecation, a problem that does not get addressed. The figure for China was one percent while that of Bangladesh was between 9 and 10 percent, he said.
Earlier on several occasions, Sen has raised the issues of open defecation and child malnutrition in the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know