`Liyaqat free to join family if he comes out clean in NIA probe`
New Delhi: Union Home Secretary RK Singh on Tuesday said the arrested Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Liyaqat Ali Shah would be released to join his family if he comes out clean in the National Investigation Agency (NIA) probe.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function here, Singh said the NIA is investigating the case on whether Shah was genuinely coming to surrender or not.
"As far as the Liyaqat case is concerned, the case has been given to the NIA to investigate. They will investigate and will find out where the truth lies whether he was coming genuinely for surrendering or whether there was some game behind it," said Singh.
"And if he was coming genuinely to surrender, our attempt will be to release him to join his family as soon as possible," he added.
Liyaqat Ali Shah was arrested by the Delhi Police from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh when he entered India through the Nepal border last month.
The Ministry of Home Affairs had earlier ordered NIA probe into his arrest.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police had supported the claims of Shah`s family that he was a former militant who had already surrendered and was part of a group returning from Pakistan- occupied Kashmir as part of the rehabilitation policy.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police on the contrary has claimed that it had foiled a suicide attack in the national capital with Shah``s arrest, who they claimed, was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist who planned attacks in the national capital.
Shah`s arrest triggered a controversy after the Omar Abdullah Government and the state police contradicted Delhi Police`s version that he was coming to Delhi to coordinate terror strikes during the festival of Holi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog