`Liyaqat`s role will be clear only after investigation`
Jammu: Days after it sparred with the Delhi Police over the arrest of Liyaqat Shah, Jammu and Kashmir Police on Sunday said he cannot be labelled as a "terrorist or innocent" until the investigation is complete.
"This is to be decided in the investigation, you cannot label a person a terrorist or innocent until the investigation process is complete," Director General of Police (DGP) Ashok Prasad said in response to a question on Liyaqat.
The DGP said they were waiting for the probe to be over and only then a call on Liyaqat`s status could be made.
"We are waiting for the completion of the investigation process, Delhi Police has already done some investigation, NIA (National Investigation Agency) is doing the investigation and whatever is the finding, I am sure everyone will act accordingly," he told reporters on the sidelines of the Police Mela here.
Delhi Police had last week claimed to have foiled a "fidayeen attack" in the national capital during Holi with the arrest of Liyaqat from Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
However, the J&K police had said that he was returning to his home in the Valley from Pakistan via the Nepal border to surrender under the rehabilitation policy, but was arrested by Delhi Police.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah last night in an interview to a news channel had said: "Given the complete divergent point of view of Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police, we needed an objective organisation to look into the facts and tell us the truth behind the whole matter."
He also said the state and the Centre were not on "cross-purposes" over the issue and praised the Union Government for handing the case to the NIA for investigation.
"It`s Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police that have given divergent views. The Government of India has not taken a position on this. They have done the right thing by handing it over to the NIA. We are not on cross-purposes with the Centre on this," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra
- Seven lakh applicants for Punjab Police to face dope test