Lokpal bill could be tabled in Monsoon Session
New Delhi: The much-hyped Lokpal bill could be tabled in Rajya Sabha in the ongoing monsoon session if a parliamentary panel looking into the legislation gives its report before the end of the session, the government said on Thursday.
"I am told that the select committee could probably give its report on Lokpal bill by September three. If it happens, we will bring the bill", Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters here.
He said a total of 118 bills of the government were in various stages and much would depend on the recommendations of standing committees and the time available for their introduction or tabling in either House of Parliament.
Lokpal bill was passed in Lok Sabha during the winter session last year.
It was referred to a Rajya Sabha select committee after several opposition members moved various amendments to the legislation.
The select committee has so far taken the views of Department of Personnel and Training, Law Ministry and CBI on the proposed amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!