Mahesh Kumar suspended for allegedly paying bribe to PK Bansal`s nephew
New Delhi: Mahesh Kumar, Member (Staff) Railway Board who had allegedly paid a bribe of Rs 90 lakh to the nephew of Railway Minister PK Bansal, was on Saturday night suspended.
Kumar was placed under suspension after the receipt of a report from CBI in the matter.
"Following the receipt of the official report from CBI, the Ministry of Railways places Mahesh Kumar, Member (Staff), under suspension," Additional Director General of Railways, Public Relations, Anil Saxena, told PTI.
Kumar was arrested by CBI after the agency apprehended him while paying the bribe to Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla reportedly for a plum post.
Kumar`s suspension came hours after the Railway Ministry issued a statement maintaining that no rules had been flouted in the appointment as Member (Staff) earlier this week.
"No officer senior to Shri Mahesh Kumar fulfilling the norms governing appointment to the post of Member (Staff) has been superseded," the ministry said.
Bansal`s own continuance in the Union Cabinet hangs in alance with the Congress Core Group not reaching a conclusion on his future in the ministry. The Group will meet again tomorrow to take a call on the issue.
Bansal has, however, insisted he has no business links with Singla.
"The charge of Member (Staff) will be looked after by Subodh Jain, Member (Engineering) and of General Manager, Western Railway by RC Agarwal, who is General Manager, North Western Railway," Saxena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital