Mahesh Kumar suspended for allegedly paying bribe to PK Bansal`s nephew
New Delhi: Mahesh Kumar, Member (Staff) Railway Board who had allegedly paid a bribe of Rs 90 lakh to the nephew of Railway Minister PK Bansal, was on Saturday night suspended.
Kumar was placed under suspension after the receipt of a report from CBI in the matter.
"Following the receipt of the official report from CBI, the Ministry of Railways places Mahesh Kumar, Member (Staff), under suspension," Additional Director General of Railways, Public Relations, Anil Saxena, told PTI.
Kumar was arrested by CBI after the agency apprehended him while paying the bribe to Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla reportedly for a plum post.
Kumar`s suspension came hours after the Railway Ministry issued a statement maintaining that no rules had been flouted in the appointment as Member (Staff) earlier this week.
"No officer senior to Shri Mahesh Kumar fulfilling the norms governing appointment to the post of Member (Staff) has been superseded," the ministry said.
Bansal`s own continuance in the Union Cabinet hangs in alance with the Congress Core Group not reaching a conclusion on his future in the ministry. The Group will meet again tomorrow to take a call on the issue.
Bansal has, however, insisted he has no business links with Singla.
"The charge of Member (Staff) will be looked after by Subodh Jain, Member (Engineering) and of General Manager, Western Railway by RC Agarwal, who is General Manager, North Western Railway," Saxena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi