`Make 100 sittings mandatory for Parliament`
New Delhi: Emphasising on the time lost by Parliament due to disruptions, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury Sunday said 100 sittings per year should be made mandatory for MPs.
"During the last two decades, we have never sat for more than 100 days in a year. We have lost a lot of time due to disruptions," Yechury said during a special sitting to mark 60 years of parliament.
"Introduce an amendment, if necessary, making 100 sittings mandatory in a year. The efficiency of the constitutional mechanism depends on the conduct of the parliamentarians," the Rajya Sabha member said.
"Unless the Parliament sits for the required duration, vigilance over the government is not possible," he added.
Parliament is having a special sitting Sunday to mark 60 years of the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket