`Make 100 sittings mandatory for Parliament`
New Delhi: Emphasising on the time lost by Parliament due to disruptions, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury Sunday said 100 sittings per year should be made mandatory for MPs.
"During the last two decades, we have never sat for more than 100 days in a year. We have lost a lot of time due to disruptions," Yechury said during a special sitting to mark 60 years of parliament.
"Introduce an amendment, if necessary, making 100 sittings mandatory in a year. The efficiency of the constitutional mechanism depends on the conduct of the parliamentarians," the Rajya Sabha member said.
"Unless the Parliament sits for the required duration, vigilance over the government is not possible," he added.
Parliament is having a special sitting Sunday to mark 60 years of the Lok Sabha.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?