Malaysia: Deity`s image on slippers offends Hindus
Kuala Lumpur: Several ethnic Indian religious organisations, including the Malaysia Hindu Sangam, have expressed outrage over the sale of slippers bearing the
impressions of a Hindu deity and called for action against the importer of the footwear, media reports said.
MHS president RS Mohan Shan said this was tantamount to disrespecting the Hindu religion.
A Tamil newspaper reported that slippers with the impression of the deity had been on sale in the Chow Kit area in Kuala Lumpur.
Mohan said MHS had appealed to the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry to take action against the importers and distributors of the slippers.
The slippers must be immediately withdrawn from the market, Hindu temple Sri Maha Mariamman Temple president R Nadarajah said.
In the past, there have been numerous such complaints after a deity`s picture was printed on T-shirts, compact discs and playing cards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman