Manmohan Singh, Nawaz Sharif invite each other for official visits
New York: Prime Ministers of India and Pakistan on Sunday extended invitations to each other for official visits as they meet here for the first time to discuss ways to normalise bilateral ties.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met with his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif at New York`s Palace Hotel in midtown Manhattan on the margins on UN General Assembly session.
"Sharif invited Prime Minister Singh to visit Pakistan and Singh invited Sharif to visit India. Both accepted the invitations," National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon said during a media briefing after the meeting.
"No dates have been set yet," he said.
Prime Minister Singh`s ancestral hometown is at Gah in the Punjab province of Pakistan.
Sharif had earlier said that he would be happy to welcome Singh in Pakistan to visit ancestral hometown in Gah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'