Man`s jail term for molesting minor 16 years ago upheld
New Delhi: A man`s year-long jail term for molesting a seven-year old girl 16 years ago has been upheld by a Delhi court, which said cases of sexual abuse of women and children cannot be treated with kid gloves.
District Judge and Additional Sessions Judge R K Gauba refused to grant leniency to South Delhi resident Jeetu Parihar, convicted for assaulting his minor neighbour with intention to outrage her modesty.
"It does appear the appellant does not have any past criminal record. But then, a case of such nature as at hand cannot be allowed to get away without substantive punishment.
"There is a need to send out a strong message that the justice delivery system would not treat cases of sexual abuse of women and children with kid gloves," the court said.
Parihar had moved the sessions court against a magisterial court order sentencing him to a year in jail and a fine of Rs 5,000.
In his appeal, Parihar had said he had been falsely implicated by the girl`s parents as they wanted to grab his hutment and that he was held guilty even as the girl was tutored before her deposition in the court.
The court, however, rejected his contentions and plea for leniency saying "under section 354 IPC (assault on woman to outrage her modesty) attracts a maximum imprisonment for 2 years. The magistrate has taken a balanced view by awarding rigorous imprisonment for one year only."
"In these circumstances, there is no scope for any further lenient view," it added.
As per the prosecution case, the minor girl was residing in Andrews Gunj slums and was sleeping outside her dwelling unit on May 20-21, 1996 night when when Parihar came and molested her.
The girl rushed to her mother, who was sleeping inside, and told her about the incident. Parihar had been arrested the same day, but was given bail the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened