Marathon in Delhi University for free Tibet
New Delhi: Over a hundred Indian and Tibetan students from Delhi University (DU) participated in a marathon here Monday to celebrate the beginning of the 100th year of the Tibetan proclamation of independence.
Organised by the Students for Free Tibet, the marathon took place in the North Campus of DU and kick-started three days of celebrations of the Tibetans in the city.
"The students took part in the marathon to express their support and solidarity for the Tibetan movement," said Rinzin Choeden, coordinator for Students for Free Tibet (SFT)-Delhi.
Tibetans and supporters worldwide will commemorate the Centennial of Tibetan Independence Day Feb 13, added Choeden.
There have been significant protests in Tibet against the illegitimate occupation of Tibet by the Chinese authorities, and since the last year 99 Tibetans have self-immolated in protest, the SFT said.
"Our celebration marks a paradox in that it is both an occasion of celebration and mourning the lives of Tibetans who have burnt themselves to fight for that very freedom," said Ugyan Choedup, deputy director of SFT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter