Marathon in Delhi University for free Tibet
New Delhi: Over a hundred Indian and Tibetan students from Delhi University (DU) participated in a marathon here Monday to celebrate the beginning of the 100th year of the Tibetan proclamation of independence.
Organised by the Students for Free Tibet, the marathon took place in the North Campus of DU and kick-started three days of celebrations of the Tibetans in the city.
"The students took part in the marathon to express their support and solidarity for the Tibetan movement," said Rinzin Choeden, coordinator for Students for Free Tibet (SFT)-Delhi.
Tibetans and supporters worldwide will commemorate the Centennial of Tibetan Independence Day Feb 13, added Choeden.
There have been significant protests in Tibet against the illegitimate occupation of Tibet by the Chinese authorities, and since the last year 99 Tibetans have self-immolated in protest, the SFT said.
"Our celebration marks a paradox in that it is both an occasion of celebration and mourning the lives of Tibetans who have burnt themselves to fight for that very freedom," said Ugyan Choedup, deputy director of SFT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional