Marathon in Delhi University for free Tibet
New Delhi: Over a hundred Indian and Tibetan students from Delhi University (DU) participated in a marathon here Monday to celebrate the beginning of the 100th year of the Tibetan proclamation of independence.
Organised by the Students for Free Tibet, the marathon took place in the North Campus of DU and kick-started three days of celebrations of the Tibetans in the city.
"The students took part in the marathon to express their support and solidarity for the Tibetan movement," said Rinzin Choeden, coordinator for Students for Free Tibet (SFT)-Delhi.
Tibetans and supporters worldwide will commemorate the Centennial of Tibetan Independence Day Feb 13, added Choeden.
There have been significant protests in Tibet against the illegitimate occupation of Tibet by the Chinese authorities, and since the last year 99 Tibetans have self-immolated in protest, the SFT said.
"Our celebration marks a paradox in that it is both an occasion of celebration and mourning the lives of Tibetans who have burnt themselves to fight for that very freedom," said Ugyan Choedup, deputy director of SFT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened