Markandey Katju tears apart `sons-of-the-soil` theory
Thane: PCI Chairman Markandey Katju has trashed the "sons-of-the-soil" theory, saying people propagating such concept should be ostracised.
"What is this sons-of-the-soil theory of some of the political leaders here (in Maharashtra)? Who do they think are the original inhabitants of this land? Even the Marathis are from outside. Their theory of only Marathi people being sons of (the) soil is completely anti-national and clearly violates constitutional provisions," he said.
He was speaking at a symposium on `Unity in diversity` in powerloom town of Bhiwandi near here on Sunday night.
The PCI chief called for unification of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. "The time is not far off when these three countries will come together as one nation, like before, under the leadership of a secular government," said Katju, adding he considered Pakistan a "fake" country created by the British to divide people of the Indian sub-continent.
The eminent Judge slammed India and Pakistan over the condition of minorities in both countries. "A civilised society is judged by the condition of minorities in it. Both India and Pakistan have failed on this front as neither of them has been able to give a fair environment to its minorities."
Katju, who is often in news for his statements, said he is not publicity hungry. "Seeking publicity is a form of vulgarity. I don’t chase publicity, but if controversy chases me, what can I do? When I see something wrong, I will continue to speak out as a citizen of India. I have no desire to be in politics or create a vote bank."
Earlier talking to reporters, Katju said he does not vote in elections due to criminalisation of politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi