Mayawati under attack in LS over Bareilly situation
New Delhi: The Mayawati government in Uttar
Pradesh on Monday came under attack in the Lok Sabha over the
communal strife in Bareilly with SP, Congress and BJP members
seeking Centre`s intervention.
The House had to be adjourned prematurely before lunch
recess after BJP members created a ruckus for its member
Maneka Gandhi being disallowed from raising the issue.
Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav raised the issue
of violence in Bareilly, which has been under curfew since the
last fortnight, during Zero Hour and targetted the Mayawati
government for the handling of the situation.
"While Bareilly is on fire, Mayawati government is
spending Rs 200 crore of public money on a rally," he said,
adding that a large number of people were injured in violence
in the UP town over the last fortnight and Muslims were the
"What did the state government do to prevent it and bring
it under control?" he asked.
His party colleague Shailendra Kumar sought Centre`s
intervention and demanded a statement on the situation.
JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav, who criticised the state
government for preventing political leaders from the town and
nearby to visit it as curfew was in place, said the Centre`s
statement should be made today itself.
"In the last 10 years, Bareilly was never under curfew
for 14 continuous days," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi