MCI secretary quits over Chairman`s `rudeness`
New Delhi: MCI secretary Sangeeta Sharma has resigned from her position, alleging ``rude and indecent`` behaviour meted out to her by board`s chairman Dr KK Talwar.
She put in her papers on June 14, stating that she was resigning under duress and hoped that "no other official of any rank in the MCI shall be given such an insulting treatment in the future".
"An issue is being made out of my appointment right from the time I was selected. I was threatened repeatedly during the period intervening my selection and joining. I am being troubled and now I want to leave in peace."
"I have resigned and the Board can consider my resignation instead of defaming me by making an issue out of my appointment which is legal and valid, as clarified to the Ministry of Health," Sangeeta Sharma said.
She has, meanwhile, proceeded on leave from Wednesday and said she was under tremendous stress due to the situation prevailing over her resignation. "I had gone for a medical check-up today and doctors have advised me rest."
"Yesterday the BOG asked me to withdraw my resignation, but I have not resigned to reconsider."
The Board is meeting here today and might take up the matter of Sharma`s resignation though she is serving her one month notice period from June 15.
Incidentally, this is peak time for the MCI which has to clear the pending permissions to colleges seeking undergraduate admissions. The MCI has to clear all pending files till June 30.
Meanwhile, Sangeeta Sharma said she had been receiving threatening calls at her residence landline with some people asking her not to join the MCI and be prepared to face the music in case she did.
The Ministry of Health had, on May 11, written to the MCI BOG asking whether Sharma`s appointment had been made under the prescribed recruitment rules of the Government and whether the permission of the Appointments Committee of Cabinet was sought.
"I have replied to all these queries satisfactorily but the Health Ministry keeps raising the matter of my appointment," Sharma said yesterday.
In her resignation letter to BOG chairman KK Talwar, Sharma has said, "I am forced to resign because of your repeated indecent behaviour towards me and shouting and reprimanding me for not knowing something which happened in the past."
She added in her resignation that "the BOG chairman was fully aware of the fact that I am a recent incumbent to my position and my humiliation, especially before junior staff, is insulting, humiliating and damaging to my dignity".
She also stated that "the treatment meted out to me is much below the social acceptability and sanctioned behaviour of the man of the status of chairman of BOG particularly vis-a-vis a lady officer of any rank let alone that of the Secretary of MCI".
Sharma was appointed on March 8 this year and she joined as MCI secretary on March 25. KK Talwar did not answer his phone, despite repeated attempt. He has reportedly not yet taken a view on Sharma’s resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India