Media hyped Keran encounter: Omar Abdullah
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday blamed media for hyping the Keran encounter that went on for 15 long days.
When asked by reporters about comparisons with Kargil, Omar said it was the media which hyped the encounter. “Why do you blame the Army for hyping it?” he asked.
The Army declared the encounter with militants in Keran sector of Kupwara district over on Tuesday afternoon. The encounter had begun on September 24 after 30 to 40 militants were detected to have crossed over the Line of Control into the Indian territory.
Seven militants were killed while a huge cache of arms and ammunition were also seized.
It was suspected that Pakistan special forces were among the infiltrators.
Omar said infiltration attempts from Pakistan keep going on, especially before the onset of winter.
“They used to send six to seven militants earlier, now they are sending 30 to 40 so that even if five to six sneak in their mission is fulfilled,” the CM said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets